Trump Demands Iran Surrender as US Says Nuclear Deal Remains Out of Reach

President Trump says Iran cannot possess nuclear weapon and must accept terms needed to end conflict

Stay Connected, Stay Informed - Follow News Alert on WhatsApp for Real-time Updates!

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has intensified his rhetoric toward Iran, saying Tehran is unlikely to accept the agreement he believes is necessary to end the conflict and suggesting that Iran should surrender.

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office on Monday, Trump said the United States was pursuing the conflict primarily to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

“They’re not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary,” Trump said. “We’re in there for one reason: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon.”

His remarks came as diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran appeared to remain deadlocked, raising further uncertainty over the future of the conflict and efforts to restore commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump Rejects Extension of Interim Agreement

Trump also ruled out extending an interim agreement previously reached between the United States and Iran.

The memorandum of understanding signed in June called for an “immediate and permanent termination of military operations on all fronts” and provided a framework for the two countries to negotiate a broader final agreement.

However, the arrangement quickly began to unravel. Trump declared the agreement “over” on July 7, while Iran’s Foreign Ministry said a week later that the arrangement had been “suspended”.

Under the memorandum, Washington and Tehran had committed to negotiating a final agreement covering wider issues, including the future of Iran’s nuclear programme. The negotiations were expected to take place within a maximum of 60 days, unless both sides agreed to extend the period.

Monday marked 60 days since the memorandum was signed.

Trump Calls for Iran to Surrender

Hours before speaking from the Oval Office, Trump told a Fox News reporter during a phone interview that Iran should “put up the white flag of surrender”.

The comments signalled a harder position from Washington as diplomatic efforts appeared to be making little progress.

Trump has repeatedly maintained that preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon is the central objective of US policy toward Tehran.

On Monday, he also reiterated that position in a post on his Truth Social platform, saying that his “number one Goal” would remain ensuring that Iran could not obtain a nuclear weapon.

Iran has consistently maintained that its nuclear programme is peaceful, while the United States and its allies have raised concerns about Tehran’s nuclear capabilities and intentions.

Trump Orders Reduction in US-South Korea Military Drills, Citing ‘Good Relations’ With Kim Jong Un

Strait of Hormuz Becomes Key Point of Dispute

The conflict has also created major concerns over shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a strategically important waterway connecting the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman.

Before the conflict escalated, the strait carried roughly 20% of global oil and liquefied natural gas supplies, making disruptions there particularly significant for international energy markets.

Oman and Iran have separately been involved in discussions aimed at restoring commercial shipping through the waterway.

However, Trump warned Oman against obstructing efforts related to the strait. During his conversation with Fox News, he issued a strong threat, saying the United States would respond militarily if Oman interfered.

Asked later whether he had lost patience with Oman, Trump said he did not believe that was the case, although he criticised the country’s conduct.

Oil Prices and US Political Pressure

The uncertainty surrounding the Strait of Hormuz has contributed to higher fuel prices and increased pressure on the Trump administration to find a way to end the conflict.

The issue also comes ahead of the November midterm elections, which will determine control of the US Congress.

Trump rejected suggestions that the elections were influencing his approach toward Iran.

“Midterms have nothing to do with my thinking,” he told Fox News.

Despite that assertion, the economic impact of the conflict, particularly higher energy prices, has become an important domestic concern.

No Clear Path to a Deal

With the interim agreement effectively suspended and the 60-day negotiation period reaching its deadline, there is currently no clear indication that Washington and Tehran are close to a comprehensive settlement.

Trump continues to insist that Iran cannot be permitted to possess a nuclear weapon, while his latest demand for surrender suggests that the US administration is maintaining a hard-line position.

The future of diplomacy will depend on whether the two sides can overcome their differences and return to negotiations. Meanwhile, uncertainty surrounding the Strait of Hormuz continues to affect global energy markets and adds another layer of urgency to efforts to resolve the conflict.

Leave a Comment

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, redistributed or derived from.
Unless otherwise stated, all content is copyrighted © 2025 News Alert.