Trump Orders Reduction in US-South Korea Military Drills, Citing ‘Good Relations’ With Kim Jong Un

US President Donald Trump has directed the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea

Stay Connected, Stay Informed - Follow News Alert on WhatsApp for Real-time Updates!

US President Donald Trump has ordered a reduction in joint military exercises with longtime ally South Korea, saying the drills are costly and could be viewed as unnecessarily hostile toward North Korea.

Trump directed US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” the exercises, according to remarks he posted on his Truth Social platform. The decision came shortly before the scheduled start of the annual military exercises and follows renewed criticism of the drills from North Korea.

Trump Cites Relationship With Kim Jong Un

Trump said he was unhappy with the decision to conduct military exercises with South Korea, describing them as both expensive and inappropriate.

He also pointed to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, arguing that Pyongyang had remained relatively unthreatening and respectful toward the United States during his time in office.

Trump has previously pursued direct engagement with Kim, making his relationship with the North Korean leader a notable part of his approach to the Korean Peninsula.

In his latest remarks, the US president suggested that maintaining what he described as good relations with Pyongyang was another reason for changing the scale of the military exercises.

South Korea’s Position on Iran War

Trump also linked his decision to South Korea’s refusal to participate in the US military campaign against Iran.

According to Trump, Seoul’s decision not to join the US-Israeli war against Iran contributed to his decision to scale back the exercises.

He argued that South Korea should have supported the US campaign aimed at preventing Iran from developing nuclear capabilities.

The comments have introduced another issue into an already complex relationship involving Washington, Seoul and their shared security concerns on the Korean Peninsula.

Ulchi Freedom Shield Exercises

The joint military exercises, known as Ulchi Freedom Shield, are among the major annual military exercises conducted by the United States and South Korea.

This year’s drills are scheduled to involve approximately 18,000 South Korean military personnel and are expected to continue through August 27, 2026.

The exercises are designed to strengthen the allies’ ability to respond to potential security threats and improve coordination between their armed forces.

However, North Korea has consistently opposed US-South Korean military exercises, describing them as preparations for an attack. Pyongyang has repeatedly called for the drills to be halted.

North Korea Releases New Images of Its First Nuclear-Powered Submarine

North Korea Threatens Stronger Deterrence

North Korea had criticized the planned exercises before Trump’s latest announcement and threatened to respond by strengthening its military deterrence.

Pyongyang has long viewed the joint US-South Korean exercises as a direct security threat. Washington and Seoul, meanwhile, have maintained that their military cooperation is defensive and intended to preserve readiness.

The latest development comes at a sensitive time for regional security, particularly because North Korea continues to maintain and develop its nuclear and missile capabilities.

Seoul Says It Is Reviewing Trump’s Remarks

South Korea responded cautiously to Trump’s comments, saying it was reviewing his remarks.

Seoul also expressed hope that improved relations between Washington and Pyongyang could eventually contribute to meaningful dialogue.

The situation now leaves South Korea balancing its longstanding military alliance with the United States against the possibility of renewed diplomatic engagement with North Korea.

Trump’s decision to seek a substantial reduction in military exercises could therefore have broader implications for the security relationship between Washington and Seoul, as well as future efforts to engage Pyongyang.

For now, the key question is how much the exercises will ultimately be reduced and whether the move can help create conditions for renewed dialogue with North Korea without weakening the military readiness of the US-South Korean alliance.

Leave a Comment

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, redistributed or derived from.
Unless otherwise stated, all content is copyrighted © 2025 News Alert.