Trump Says He Delayed Planned Iran Strike as Negotiations Show Progress

Stay Connected, Stay Informed - Follow News Alert on WhatsApp for Real-time Updates!

US President Donald Trump has said he postponed a planned military strike on Iran, citing what he described as “positive developments” in ongoing diplomatic efforts and pressure from Gulf Arab allies to allow negotiations more time.

Planned Attack Put on Hold

Speaking in Washington and later on his social media platform Truth Social, Trump claimed that a major US assault on Iran had been scheduled for Tuesday, but was ultimately delayed.

He said leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates urged him to pause the operation, arguing that serious negotiations were underway that could potentially lead to a diplomatic breakthrough.

Trump added that while the attack had been halted, US forces remain on standby.

“We have instructed the military to be prepared to go forward with a full-scale assault… if an acceptable deal is not reached,” he said.

“Very Good Chance” of a Deal

Despite the warning, Trump struck an unexpectedly optimistic tone, saying there was a “very good chance” that an agreement could be reached to end the ongoing conflict with Iran.

He suggested that a deal could potentially prevent further escalation, including large-scale airstrikes, stating he would prefer a diplomatic solution “if we can do that without bombing the hell out of them.”

Backchannel Diplomacy Through Pakistan

According to Iranian officials, communication between Washington and Tehran has continued through Pakistan as a mediator, which has been facilitating exchanges of proposals and responses between the two sides.

Trump Plans White House Helipad on South Lawn to Protect Grass from Marine One

Iran’s Foreign Ministry confirmed that it had shared concerns with the US via this channel, while negotiations remain ongoing despite significant disagreements.

Key Sticking Points in Talks

Iran’s position reportedly includes:

  • Lifting of long-standing US sanctions
  • Release of frozen Iranian assets abroad
  • An end to naval pressure and restrictions in the Strait of Hormuz
  • Reparations for wartime damage

Meanwhile, US proposals—according to Iranian media reports—include restrictions on Iran’s nuclear programme, including limits on enrichment activities and oversight measures, which Tehran has strongly resisted.

Rising Tensions Over Hormuz

The situation remains highly sensitive due to Iran’s continued control over the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical energy routes. Reports suggest Tehran has strengthened administrative control over the waterway through a newly established body, further complicating global energy security concerns.

Uncertain Path Forward

While Trump’s comments suggest a temporary pause in military escalation, both sides remain far apart on core issues. Analysts note that the situation continues to shift rapidly, with diplomacy, economic pressure, and military signalling all occurring simultaneously.

For now, the conflict remains unresolved, but ongoing backchannel talks indicate that both Washington and Tehran are still exploring the possibility of a negotiated settlement—despite deep mistrust and escalating regional tensions.

Leave a Comment

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, redistributed or derived from.
Unless otherwise stated, all content is copyrighted © 2025 News Alert.